California governor closes bars in several counties; half a million confined in Beijing; cases worldwide top 10m; Follow the latest updates
- Global deaths pass 500,000
- Global report: Covid-19 cases exceed 10m
- US health secretary says ‘window is closing’ to stop virus
- New Zealand’s isolation facilities under ‘extreme stress’
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Beijing’s city government reported seven new Covid-19 cases for 28 June, down from 14 a day earlier as the Chinese capital seeks to contain an outbreak.
The city also reported one new asymptomatic case, a patient who has the coronavirus but is not exhibiting symptoms, compared with three such cases a day earlier.
More than 100 regional newspaper publishers and broadcasters across Australia are set to gain funding through a federal government scheme to help media deal with “catastrophic” declines in advertising revenue.
Many regional newspapers have suspended publishing due to underlying financial pressures exacerbated by the pandemic, raising concerns about the loss of local voices and erosion of vital democratic scrutiny.