- US Covid death toll expected to reach half a million
- Senate holds confirmation hearing for Merrick Garland
- Dominion Voting to sue MyPillow CEO for defamation
- Trump to tell CPAC he is ‘presumptive 2024 nominee’ – report
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Senator Mitt Romney has also signaled he will oppose the nomination of Neera Tanden to lead the office of management and budget.
“Sen. Romney has been critical of extreme rhetoric from prior nominees, and this is consistent with that position,” a spokesperson for the Republican senator said in a statement. “He believes it’s hard to return to comity and respect with a nominee who has issued a thousand mean tweets.”
The Guardian’s Sam Levine reports:
The US supreme court turned away a lingering challenge from Donald Trump to Pennsylvania’s election rules, putting a final end to a closely-watched case the justices said was now moot.